Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Crossing Borders

Lee called me last night to report that he got dizzy after riding for 10 minutes through a cemetery nearby. We had a brief talk and I was beginning to think that I would be leaving him behind. In fact, I was considering my alternatives. I expected to see Lee under the covers on the couch when I knocked on Emma and Keith's door. While he wasn't necessarily raring to go, he was actually packed and ready before me. We made a stop on the quad at UNCA so Lee could say farewell too Keith. I was not expecting Lee to perform much and was happily surprised. He continued to surpass me on all the climbs as he always does and seemed to have no trouble whatsoever. My friend Eleanor rode with us about 26 miles to Mars Hill ad turned back for the ride home. I was expecting to have to leave Lee on the side of the road with Eleanor as they lie and wait for a ride. Fortunately, Eleanor rode home alone. Thanks for the backup, Eleanor.

19W into TN was a beautiful ride. It wasn't nearly as challenging as I recall it being when I rode it two winters ago. On the side of the ride, we saw a sign that read "HEY LADIES, 555-5555." We concluded that this was the backwoods method of internet dating. I wish I had stopped for a picture of this. Later,we stopped and took a picture of ourselves on a suspended bridge. There were many of these along the climb. We were both shocked at how quickly we made it to the top. I knew we were at the top because of the AT sign. Lunch was had on a log over a creek along the Appalachian Trail. We encountered a thruhiker whom I offered some food to who was surpisingly indifferent. You'd think he'd be half-starved and ready to eat a cow. Instead, he responded, "mmmm, whattya got?" We cruised down 19W thru Spivey Gap and stopped to admire the lovely waterfalls. Oh how I miss being in Asheville for the summer. The descent into TN was chilly! We got some fun photos by the state sign to flaunt the crossing of our first state.

We've been welcomed into my friend's Martha and Jeff's home in Johnson City. Oh how we will miss all of our friends when we get out West. It has been such a treat to be welcomed by so many. We'll do at least 80 miles tomorrow and probably stop just shy of the Cumberland Gap.

Overall, a much welcomed uneventful day. I am thrilled to still have my riding partner and I think that he is equally thrilled to still be riding. When we leave tomorrow, everything will be new territory for Lee. He has not been further than Johnson City.
Off.

2 comments:

  1. woooo yeah eleanor!! glad lee is feeling better too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How ironic, my passover was at Cumberland Maryland, May of 1980, it was snowing, mixed with rain. You guys be careful of your speed coming down those mountains, wish I could be with you, Deo Vindice, Lee's Dad

    ReplyDelete