Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Seconds and Inches



(aerial view of Lake Michigan as I flew over it via Milwaukee)

Sometimes, that is what it all comes down too. I didn't write about an incident on the way out of St. Louis to keep people's worries at a minimum. I was riding a shoulder approaching an off ramp. I attempted to ride over a 1 inch lip to get back on the main road to cross the off ramp. With all the weight on my front end, I couldn't get the lift I needed to clear the lip and my bike went down to the left as I landed to the right of it. Just as I fell, a large truck/SUV passed me. If I had fallen to the left of the bike I would have been roadkill. Seconds and inches.

I flew back to NC today to celebrate the life of my dear friend, Eleanor Dorman. I got a message Monday night after I had set up camp 75 miles outside of Omaha that she had been taken by the current and fallen to her death from the top of Rainbow Falls on Monday evening. Eleanor touched my life and so many others. Her spirit was contagious. She absolutely insisted on enjoying life. She was a giver. Such a paradox... those who seem to constantly give of themselves never seem to be empty. Rather, they seem to be constantly overflowing as Eleanor was. If you knew Eleanor, you know what I mean. I made it to Asheville in time for the candle light vigil this evening. It was a powerful and touching few hours. People showed up in droves to celebrate her and share the light that she brought to their lives. As her mother explained, Eleanor means light. She certainly lived up to her name.

I anticipate that the funeral will be this Saturday. I will be flying back to Omaha ASAP to resume the trip. Lee awaits.

fyi... this blog allows me to automatically send emails to a fixed amount of people each time there is a new blog. i stopped doing it because i thought it might be more of an irritant to you. if you want to be on that list, drop me an email at heller.luke@gmail.com and i'll see about adding you. if you don't respond, i will assume not to put you on the list. while it also posts to my facebook page, there is a considerable delay.

3 comments:

  1. My sympathies to you on having lost a dear friend. I encourage you and Lee to take care of yourselves while you enjoy this trip. Rest well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know already my experience with Eleanor's passing. I can only add, amen, to your thoughts.
    Your trip will be healing: godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting the picture of Eleanor, it captures the vibrancy of her life. May she be with you in your travels, your memories of her will last a life time.

    ReplyDelete