Thursday, July 8, 2010

Destination Unknown

We spent a wonderful 2 days in Missoula and we could easily spend a week here. Our hosts, Rachel and Jenny, have been a pleasure. When blogging, I often feel pressure to say the right thing... keep people happy... causing a bit of censorship. Not the case here. Missoula reminds me of Asheville quite a bit... roughly the same size, seemingly a pocket of progressive thinking, and an outdoor mecca. It's one of those towns that people come to visit and never go home. Speaking of "visit," I've noticed since Nebraska use the word "visit" instead of spend time, hang out, or... get together.

We spent yesterday running errands. I bought a new fleece since we've had some bitter nights and mornings. We spent some time at Adventure Cycling Association, "the bicycle travel experts," and got our pics and bios taken. They offer free ice cream and drinks to any adventure cyclist passing through. It's quite an organization. Ryan and I went back the next day and invited Greg Siple, a cofounder, our for lunch at the Hob Nob. He had plans with a bagel for lunch but he postponed and hob nobbed with us for a bit. Greg is a walking, talking bicycle historian. His bikelove was born out of his father's involvement in the 6 day bicycle races in the 1930's. The races were usually on sloped wooden plank tracks. The racers rode day and night. I can just hear one now, "Is he awake yet? I need a break!" That's just a tidbit from Greg, he has so much to share about bicycling. When riding from Alaska to Argentina, they had been toying with the idea of a massive transcontinental bike ride. Somewhere is South America, they looked at their cyclometer, pre- cyclocomputers, which read 1776. His wife came up with the name bikecentennial. In 1976, the first group of 4,000 cyclists rode all or part of what is now the transamerica route. Today, the transam is almost certainly the most traveled organized route.

Gel bar tape is a bad idea. So is letting someone else wrap your bars. My handlebars were double wrapped with gel underneath. While it was a comfy ride for a while, the cork tape separated causing the gel to be exposed. I bought some new synthetic tape (leather is too expensive), and paid a mechanic to out it on. While I needed the mechanics help to get the bar end shifter off because I stripped the bolt, I should have wrapped the bars myself. I've become a big believer in supporting those who support you. If it weren't for all these bike shops along the way, life would be infinitely more difficult. However, when it comes to wrapping your bars, wrap them yourself. The $25 I just spent on good bar tape became 3 inches of electrical tape at the end section because he cut my tape short.

We planned our next 7 days to Bellingham. We will arrive the day before the ferry departs. While Glacier was going to be the highlight of the trip for me, Alaska has quickly taken over. What happens once we hit Alaska is a little hazy. I have a passport being sent ahead which is only 6 years expired. Right, the 10 year old Luke will pass. Anyhow, I'm really taking my chances here. I had no intention of going to Alaska initially so I had no need for a passport. But it looks like we'll have to ride through some of the Yukon Territory once we hit to coast to get to Anchorage. If they don't let me through, I hear you can ride through at night when no one is staffing the gates. Once in Anchorage, I'll ship the bike back and fly home.

2 comments:

  1. Ill be in Eastern WA on the 14th and Belingham on the 18th of July. Let me know how the progress is going. I also have a great friend who is a cyclist in Spokane if you need a place to stay. Also, can hook you up in Seattle and possibly Ellensburg. Let me know.

    Nolan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Luke and glad you made contact with Rachel! Come back and visit us (Adventure Cycling) in Missoula sometime.

    ReplyDelete