Saturday, July 3, 2010

My first rodeo

Relatively uneventful. By relatively I should clarify that IT was an
amazingly beaut Montana day. However, I don't think those are hard to
come by out here. We started pedaling and IT felt like a brisk
Asheville morning in late October. The only difference was that IT
never really warmed up much. I wore my arm warmers all day.

After setting up camp alongside a friendly Austrian named Peter who
offered to share his site, we bathed in the nearby creek. IT was less
than 2 days ago that we were at the source of this ice cold water in
Yellowstone. We made our way into town and ran into another cyclist
who was actually going our way! We have begun to pass between 10-15
other cyclists per day now that we're on the transam (till Missoula)
but the overwhelming majority are going west to east. Ryan, 36 year
old from NYC, had been riding with a friend but just parted ways in
Yellowstone. Since town is flooded with tourists due to the annual
Ennis Rodeo, we sent Ryan to our little patch of grass that Peter was
nice enough to share with us. We decided we'd ride together to
Missoula where he will head west to Seattle. Ryan just decided
yesterday that he's going to Alaska. His motivation for his adventure
was sparked by the Swedish furniture company he worked for burning
down.

We rode something like 72 miles into Ennis today. We ended the day
with a rodeo, my first. Quite an experience. IT is cold here! Another
cyclist we had lunch with said, 'I'm going to go inside to warm up.'.
Mind you, IT is July. There are fireworks going off in town as I type.
I have never had such a cold 4th of July. Tomorrow for beakfast: all
you can eat pancakes. We'll be well fed for a long day ahead. I think
both Lee and I are thrilled to have someone else to ride with.

--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments:

Post a Comment