Saturday, July 24, 2010

Portland->Pacific Ocean






Recap...
Olympia was great. Coffee and sweets at the Bread Peddler then 20
miles of paved trail to the next town. We thought IT was only going to
be 120 miles to Portland but IT turned out to be closer to 140. So at
90 miles, we bought train tickets to Portland from Kelso. Hey, IT was
Lee's birthday. If you want to ride a train on your birthday, no one
should stop you either. Michael, my friend from Asheville who moved
to Oregon via cycling across the country after graduating from UNCA
last year, greeted us at the train. What they say about Portland being
bike city USA is true. Cars stop for bikes, they yield to bikes, and
are generally more courteous and cognizant of them than anywhere I
have been. We had good eating that night and and went to a beautiful
swimming hole in Washington the next day. To me, my time spent with
Michael really embodies what has become most important to me: people.
He and I have known each other for years but were never close by any
means. But he and I were up till 3:30am trading stories and sharing
about our lives the night before I left. Having an honest exchange
with another person is priceless.

I believe that some people take trips like this to get away from IT
all; whatever IT is. My experience is that my trip has only made me
want to be more a part of IT; whatever IT is. I don't always get to
decide what IT is. In fact I rarely do. However, I do get to choose
whether or not I engage myself with IT or not.

We did Portland right. Doughnuts from voodoo doughnuts at 11pm. We
rode by the place and I heard music and Saw a line stretching half a
block. I figured IT must be a concert. No, IT was doughnuts, voodoo
doughnuts. Along with her maple bacon doughnut, the girl in line in
front of us wanted to buy 2 pair of the pink underwear from the guy
with pigtails selling doughnuts. The doughnuts were wild, crazy
ideas... But nothing to write home about. Portland also has 60+ bike
shops, seems like one on every corner.

The ride to the coast was a breeze minus the flats. I had to get a new
tire before leaving town. The specialized nimbus started to rip in the
tread exposing the kevlar. It was a decent tire, roughly 2500 miles
problem free with minimal flats. However, Schwalbe is the way to go.
Lee has had his rear Schwalbe on the rear the whole trip. Granted IT
probably wouldn't make IT another 100 miles, IT has AT least 4200 on
IT. He got 2 flats yesterday... Bumme for a last day. But AT least he
didn't have to buy another tire.

I felt like we glided all the way to Tillamook; felt effortless to
average 20-25 mph. Once we stopped to buy groceries for our
celebratory dinner, I didn't feel Luke pedaling anymore yet we had 12
or so left. We caught the sun setting right over Cape Lookout as we
approached. We went straight to the beach before setting up camp; Lee
swam, I didn't. I am going further south so I will wait for warmer
weather. I finally felt IT hit me... WOW! We just rode our bicycles
from the Atlantic to the Pacific. IT was a real feeling of awe.

That morning we had done a phone interview with Jill in advertising
and marketing from UNCA. She said to us... "IT hasn't hit you yet." I
have a feeling that she was right. There is probably a lot about this
trip that won't sink in for a while. A few days ago, Lee and I were
discussing the fact that many people who attempt this trip do not make
it. We have oushed on through good and bad. We have woken up in wet
sleeping bags, had major machanical issues, had relentless headwinds,
and even dealt with death. In the moment, we always just did whatever
we had to do; life as usual. Looking back, I have a strong sense of
accomplishment.

Lee left this morning on a bus from Tillamook back to Portland where
he will fly home. I will continue down the Oregon and California coast
which people have Ben telling me may be the best part of the trip. IT
seemsike everthing just constantly gets more and more beautiful. It's
hard to say if they actually are or if I'm simply maintaining an
appreciation of all things beautiful. i just arrived in Pacific City,
OR where a gigantic monolith sits a mile out. Absolutely gorgeous.
Pictures when I can.

--
Sent from my mobile device

2 comments:

  1. KUDOS! And to quote Mark Twain - "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I want to cry with excitment for you both. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete