Monday, July 19, 2010

The Road That Has No End






That's the name of the book in my lap right now. It's by a typical
American couple who gave up their typical American lives for a global
bicycling adventure that has no end in sight. I can't even begin to
imagine such a lifestyle. I know where I will be by August 5...
Hopefully San Francisco. I also know that I'll be back on the east
coast for my Grandfather's 90th birthday shindig. And after that,
Graduate school will begin consuming my time. However, with the kind
of luck I had today, I could go forever.

I started the day climbing out of my tent which was poorly positioned
on a slope. The poor positioning was due tobthe lack of space to pitch
a tent. The morning view by far compensated for awkward slope in my
tent. We camped on the cliffs of a small island (Teddy Bear Cove)
that's actually connected to the mainland by the traintracks that run
alongside it. We couldn't have paid for a better spot to camp.

We cruised back down Chuckanut Dr in no hurry. We gad no qualms about
riding that road again, gorgeous. I was craving that coffee bean so we
stopped at the first place that looked like they'd have any; The
Chuckanut Manor. The waitress asked if I wanted anything more than
coffee, I said that coffee would gecpkenty fircme when she said that
the buffet was $22. She insisted that I get a small plate and she'd
charge me accordingly. I reluctantly gave in considering that I had
what seemed to be a pound of bananas on my bike. When I saw the food,
I was glad I had. This place was fit for kings. Eggs Benedict, crepes,
coffee cake, and fried oysters seemed to jump on my plate. I forced
myself to stop at that as I knew I couldn't really afford this feast.
The owner told ne of how well he was taken care of years ago when he
went traveling in Europe and wanted to return the favor. So, he bought
my meal. What s gut. Apparently Europe has this amazing reputation for
taking cate of travelers. Sounds Like nice place for a bicycle trip...

We barely made the ferry to Pott Townsend. We couldn't have timed it
better. We boarded and the ropes were being tied within a minute. I
found a coffee shop in Port Townsend with good coffee, cheap cookies,
and free soup and bread on Sundays. Score. Could I have gotten any
luckier?
By this time, we already had 59 miles behind usand many more ahead.
Again, we got to the Bainbridge Island ferry just at the right time.
It's nice beind on 2 wheels and being able to cruise right by people
who have been waiting so long to ferry that they are asleep.

We ended the day with 115 miles behind us and another great host from warmshowers.org
. Tomorrow. We'll follow the STP(Sattle to Portland annual ride with
10,000) route and either camp in Olympia or Centralia. Shut eye time.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! You guys are almost to the Pacific ocean. I can't wait to see a picture of you guys dipping your wheels is the surf.
    When & where do you plan to hit that epic beach?

    ReplyDelete
  2. we'll he to Pacific Ocean in Tillamook, OR.

    ReplyDelete