Monday, July 26, 2010

So many others!











84 miles Monday 7/26 to Gold Beach, OR

There are so many of us on the road sometimes I hesitate to make small
talk. I saw some bikes in front of the pizza place when I climbed into
town and thought I might make some friends. I should've known better
when I saw the designer "Black Star" punk grunge panniers. I have
never seen panniers like them but they looked like they were trying
hard not to look like the practical panniers that made sense. They
looked like they were trying so hard. IT must have cost a lot of $ to
make panniers that don't look like they cost a lot of $.
If I were going to spend big bucks on panniers, I would get ortlieb's.
There is a reason that everyone has them; they are good. But if
fashion is more important than practicality, maybe you want to follow
the hipsters. By the way, did I mention the top tube foam cushion?
Hello, are we just learning to ride a bike? If so, maybe you shouldn't
be bike touring. In the roughly 4,500 miles I have covered in the last
few months, my crotch and my top tube have not once made contact to
where one of those silly foam protectors would save my day. However,
if you are using the foam protector as a form of personal
expression... go on, express yourself. We're all watching. I picked up
a sewing kit today to stitch up my gloves. Maybe I should go to group
campsites and charge them all $10 per person to stitch their initials
in their foam pad covers.

Well that was a rant. I'm just bitter because I was hoping to go in on
a campsite with them and they seemed to have no interest. No worries,
I found a hidden grass section tucked away in a church yard a block
off the main road and a block from the coffee and book store. I know
where I will be in the morning! I just couldn't bring myself to fork
out $17 for an 8x5 piece of ground and 5 minutes of hot water. In this
cool coastal weather, it's easier to justify skipping a shower than IT
was in muggy Illinois.
California tomorrow!

--
Sent from my mobile device

2 comments:

  1. That just made me laugh out loud. Congratulations on reaching the coast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOOOO Luke! Take photos at the Cali signpost! Lee is stuck in Denver today trying to get a flight to Mil., and home to NC tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete