Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Olympia


88 miles.

We departed the most diverse zip code in the nation (98118, S. Seattle) after a great breakfast with our host, Don. Our plan was to ride the STP (Seattle to Portland) route which we did once we finally found the darn thing. Somehow I missed a turn even with a GPS and great directions but it didn't put us off course at all. It took me nearly 40 miles to get my riding legs on today. For some reason, they just didn't feel like pushing. After 2 shots of espresso and a Sunday at McD's, I was ready.

We stopped in this little town called Puyallup (pew-al-up)at the McDonald's so Lee could get his sweet tea fix. Once we left the South, the only place to get it is McDonald's. This was fast food like you've never seen it before. Classical music playing in the background and a sweet lady to bring you your food and offer you a moist towelette when you are through eating. Bizarre.

We traveled through to Yelm. Little did we know but we rode right by J.Z. Knight's School of Enlightenment. Knight is the reputed channel of a spiritual entity named Ramtha. Ramtha is an ancient warrior, conqueror, and ascended Master who lived 35000 years ago. Apparently, the little town of Yelm was poverty stricken until Knight descended with he sidekick, Ramtha. Since then, the town has been booming. People travel from all around the globe to learn from Ramtha. I wonder if Knight ever channeled Ramtha for guidance regarding any of her first 5 marriages.

We have once again landed in a lovely chateau thanks to warmshowers.org. Dana and Dudley live in a beautiful historic home with tall ceilings overlooking the state capital. My bedroom window looks right out on it. I can't wait to see the view in the morning. If they weren't already asleep, I'd sneak in and take a picture of the bathroom. In fact, I wish I had taken a picture of every shower I have had.... ok well, not all of them. But Jeff and Martha's in Johnson City, Casey's in Jackson Hole, and Dana and Dudley's in Olympia. Showers are certainly a commodity on a trip like this but you wouldn't believe some of the showers I have been in. Not that you want a steamer in the summer time in the Appalachians, but Jeff and Martha's shower was like not other. Another quirky thing I wished I had done that came up with Ryan in company was to take a picture of everything I ate. Every meal, every snack bar wrapper, every banana peel, every empty jar of peanut butter, every piece of pie, every ice cream sundae, every cookie, every hunk of meat, every noodle, every grain of rice, every pop tart, every bag of granola, and every PBJ.

Tomorrow, Portland. We'll rest in Portland for a day and ride to the coast. We will stay with my friend Michael who rode from Asheville to the West Coast 2 years ago and hasn't left yet. It will be delightful to see a familiar face!!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Lee, 20 years ago today, at 4 lbs & 15 oz. who would have thought you would turn out to be such an accomplished athelete, congratulations on you success, hope you have a wonderful day, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee was a primi, now I get it! Nice blog you wrote today. Still wish I could and would have photographed everything I put in my mouth this trip. Would be astonished I'm sure. Safe riding, may the wind be at your back!

    ReplyDelete